Expert advice on warrants / writ of control

If the Judgment remains unpaid there are a variety of enforcement methods available to the creditor.  Our experienced paralegals will advise of the various methods of enforcement and the most appropriate method for your claim, taking into account the debtor’s circumstances.

Warrants/Writs of Control

The most common and usual enforcement method is to issue a Writ or Warrant of Control.

If your Judgment is less than £600.00 or the your claim is subject to the Consumer Credit Act a Warrant of Control is issued and a County Court Bailiff is instructed.

For any Judgment debt over £600.00 we would recommend that a Writ of Control is issued and a High Court Enforcement Officer (HCEO) instructed.

The Bailiff/HCEO attend at a debtor’s premises or residence and seize goods to be sold at public auction to discharge the Judgment debt and costs.

Most goods can be seized however some are exempt such as essential basic items that the debtor needs to live or work, for example clothing, bedding, furniture etc or tools of the trade.  Only goods belonging to the debtor and that are free of finance can be seized.

The HCEO can force entry to commercial premises if he believes that there are goods there belonging to the debtor that can be seized however entry to a private residence can never be forced.

New regulations with regards to HCEOs came into effect on 6 April 2014, if you would like further details regarding these please contact Louise Nichol on 0113 284 5159 or

We only use regulated licensed enforcement officers.