Expert Legal Advice for Party Wall Disputes

You may think that you have nothing in common with your neighbour. This could be true, but one thing that you are likely to share with them is a party wall. The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 regulates your ability to modify fences, walls or other structures that are shared between your property and that of your neighbour. If you or your neighbour carries out work on or within the vicinity of a party wall, this could very quickly give rise to a dispute.

Such a dispute could arise in various ways. Your neighbour could simply cut into a party wall without giving you any notice. Alternatively, they notify you that they intend to begin work on a chimney breast that separates your two properties – you may object but they choose to continue regardless. On the other hand, you may have installed a damp proof course without following the correct procedure and your neighbour may have raised an objection with you.

Ison Harrison can assist you at all stages of a party wall dispute. If you or your neighbour object to works proposed by the other party, we can advise you as to the options available to you to resolve the dispute before any works commence, or represent you in relation to the Party Wall etc. Act procedure. If works have already started without the correct procedure being complied with, we can assist you with obtaining an injunction to prevent their continuance. Moreover, if a Party Wall etc. Act Award has been made and you wish to challenge this, we can assist and advise you as to any Appeal.

If you require the advice of our specialist team in relation to a party wall dispute, we would be pleased to have an initial consultation with you to see how we can assist.

Call us on 0113 284 5000 if you need Residential Property Disputes advice.