Health and Safety Legislation
Health and safety legislation in the United Kingdom is always evolving. Compliance with law and regulations for businesses can be a burdensome and daunting task at the best of times.
Achieving and evidencing compliance can be time consuming and costly. At Ison Harrison, we can provide expert compliance advice on:
- HSE and Local Authority Investigations
- Enforcement Notices
- Cautions / Interviews Under Caution
- Construction Health and Safety
Why You Should Instruct a Solicitor
The cost of falling foul of the regulations can be significant. The Health and Safety Executive (the “HSE”) or local authority can issue Enforcement Notices (Improvement Notice/Prohibition Notice/Stop Notice), impose an unlimited fine and you could be sentenced to up to two years imprisonment.
It is imperative, when ensuring compliance, that you contact a specialist solicitor as soon as the need arises. The best possible outcome will be achieved where a health and safety specialist solicitor is contacted at the earliest possible opportunity.
The Head of our Regulatory Law Department, Ian Anderson, will be able to provide you with information and advice on any queries you may have. Ian is a Higher Courts Advocate and can appear on your behalf at any interview or court hearing you are required to attend. We can ensure that your case is dealt with from start to finish by one individual who has a complete understanding of your case and the chronology of the matters at hand.
Health and Safety Compliance Facts
Below are some figures highlighting the effect that health and safety compliance had on businesses in 2014/15:
- 9,446 Enforcement Notices were issued by the HSE
- 2,984 Enforcement Notices were issued by Local Authorities
- 1,058 prosecutions taken by HSE at an offence level – 86% resulted in convictions
- 153 prosecutions taken by local authorities at an offence level – 93% resulted in convictions
- 142 workers were killed at work
- 611,000 workers were non-fatally injured at work
If you have any queries, Ian can be contacted directly on 0113 284 5062 or by e-mail at email@example.com.